Santa Barbara, CA
Yardi is a global software company providing innovative property management solutions and services in every real estate market. We are focused on providing our customers with superior products and outstanding customer service. We are passionate about technology and believe work should be fulfilling and fun! We are committed to our customers, employees and the communities where we live.
We are seeking a highly motivated, positive, passionate-about-litigation attorney to join our team! If you have at least five years of litigation experience, enjoy learning new things, embrace discovery, and have the desire to be in-house we want to hear from you. The position will be located at our headquarters in Santa Barbara and will require travel from time to time to our office in Boston and elsewhere depending on litigation needs. This position will report directly to Senior Corporate Counsel but will work regularly with the Vice President, General Counsel and others.
What you will do
- Handle a range of litigation matters involving legal, regulatory and business disputes and includes assisting with the management of outside counsel
- Manage the successful resolution of pending, threatened and actual disputes including all aspects of discovery
- Use your strong analytical skills to analyze software licensing agreements, vendor agreements, non-disclosure agreements, lease agreements, and other types of contracts
- Provide guidance and advice to a variety of internal Company departments at all levels on both litigation and non-litigation business matters
- Execute existing and develop new strategies for handling pending, threatened and actual litigation
- Use your strong communication skills to communicate effectively with internal and external parties, including opposing counsel, customers, regulators, public authorities, and senior management
- Be in the know- develop and maintain strong knowledge of existing laws, rules and regulations applicable to various aspects of the company’s business—including in particular the company’s tenant screening business, which is governed by the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other rapidly evolving state and local laws, rules and regulations
- Be part of a great team and collaborate with team members across the U.S.
What you need to have
- Law degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Active Bar membership in the United States with no record of discipline
- 5 + years of relevant legal experience, with some commercial litigation experience
- Highest level of professional ethics, personal integrity, and sound judgement
- Superlative verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to work individually and as a team, including under pressure, with minimal direct supervision and while managing competing priorities
- Interest in learning, monitoring, and analyzing complex rules and regulations (such as the FCRA)
- Proficiency with Microsoft® Word, Excel and Outlook, and a comfort level learning and using proprietary Company software
- Friendly, collegial, flexible, comfortable in an individual contributor role, collaborative, and with an enthusiasm for work, life, and litigation
- Ability to problem solve with creativity and a genuine comfort with appropriate risks and 180-degree pivots
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 35% of the time for litigation and business matters
What would be helpful to have
- Mix of law firm and in-house legal experience
- Litigation matter management experience (in both state and federal court)
- A working knowledge of the FCRA, consumer reporting generally or tenant screening specifically would be a nice plus
- Software licensing agreement drafting and negotiation experience
- Familiarity with software development, complex relational databases, cloud computing and software-as-a-service (SaaS) environments
What you get as a Yardi Employee
- A great place to work with fantastic people
- Ability to learn new technology and develop professionally
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive benefits – Medical/dental, paid time off, sick time, paid holidays, 401(k), profit sharing, life insurance, and more!
At Yardi, we’ve created a team of over 7,000 employees in over 40 locations around the globe dedicated to making great real estate software products and fostering a collaborative work environment. Yardi is a place where people with a wide variety of cultural and life experiences come together to make a difference. Our corporate culture stresses integrity, respect, trust, responsibility, and fun! Come join our growing team!
All submissions for open positions should be received through Yardi’s applicant portal, accessed from Yardi’s corporate website.